The Johnston Memorial Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program, located in historic, Abingdon, VA, is currently seeking a Full Time, Family Medicine Residency Program Director. The Program Director is a highly valued physician leader whose primary responsibility is ensuring that residents receive the best possible training and education, accomplished through organizing, implementing, directing and evaluating all activities and components of the core program of responsibility. A successful Program Director promotes a creative and productive teaching environment for both residents and medical students, and builds and manages a strong faculty to maximize program outcomes. Position is highly visible and responsible for the reputation of the program as well as for the effective and efficient development of residents and medical students. Acts as a resource and liaison between residents, faculty, health authorities, accrediting colleges and licensing bodies, as well as Ballad Health leadership, physicians and aligned external organizations. Acts as a leader in terms of human resource and financial responsibilities. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of life span professional growth and development and assesses data reflective of the faculty’s status. Interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each faculty members requirements relative to his or her age specific needs and provides mentoring and evaluation according to departmental policies and procedures.
Residents and Program
• Ensures the development and operation of the program meet the general and specific standards for accreditation through oversight of all medical and administrative activities, including effective curriculum and ACGME or AOA -required competencies. Integrates the work of the program with other hospital divisions, as well as external organizations, to ensure fulfillment of all regulatory requirements.
• Oversees selection and evaluation of residents, including selection of program candidates, evaluation and promotions, disciplinary actions and appeals process and facilitation of career planning.
• Conducts regular reviews of the program to assess the quality of the educational experience and available resources to ensure that maximum efficiencies and effectiveness are achieved.
• In partnership with department leadership, recruits and retains strong faculty with excellent records in clinical care, research and/or education, as well as designates and evaluates well-qualified physicians to act as volunteer faculty and assist in resident supervision/teaching.
• Evaluates, mentors and sets appropriate expectations for all faculty and staff.
• Provides dynamic leadership for the integration of graduate medical education into the culture and daily operations of Ballad Health. Builds effective and long-term interdisciplinary support for overall graduate medical education and the core program of responsibility.
• Represents Ballad Health and the core program of responsibility on a regional and national stage by participating in pertinent organizations, as well as locally by presentations to, or inclusions on, various boards, medical staffs, councils, community groups or similar bodies.
• Supports initiatives throughout Ballad Health that have a positive impact on medical education, quality improvement, excellence in clinical practice and research (meeting ACGME and AOA requirements), as well as other initiatives that involve the care provided by residents and/or faculty of the residency program.
Leadership and Administration
• Executes program director responsibilities according to ACGME standards for an family medicine programs.
• In partnership with department and medical education leadership, establishes the residency program mission, objectives and measures of effectiveness. Guides continuous strategic planning for both short-term improvements and long-term growth and development goals.
• Holds responsibility for the financial management of program resources. Acts as a liaison with external funding agencies to support educational activities, as appropriate. Actively participates in the development of program operational and capital budgets.
• In partnership with medical education leadership, supervises the professional and administrative staff assigned to the core program of responsibility. Provides continuous feedback, both positive and constructive, as well as assisting in determining appropriate staff selection, delegation of duties and advising on challenging situations/assignments.
Ballad Health Senior Physician Recruiter
Location/Region: Abingdon, VA (24211)